RE: Tracking names and emails across sites

Rob,

  I went to my networking background to think about your points.  I came up with the following:

In networking, there are two fundamental types of interactions - stateful and stateless.  HTTP is a fundamentally stateless protocol, while FTP is fundamentally stateful.  If you need more of an explanation, let me know offline.

Answer to Question 1:

In a value exchange for PII, the terms of use (TOU) or the end user license agreement (EULA) may specify that the relationship between the consumer and the service is either stateful or stateless (although I doubt that either would use the technical terms explicitly).  In the former case, it'd be feasible to expect some later control over data use.  In the latter case, well, it'd be like asking to control where your dollar goes after you've used it to pay for a newspaper.  I'm neither a lawyer nor a legislator, so I'm not on the up-and-up with regards to the rules governing what rights mustn't be modified in a TOU or EULA - and it looks like the FTC is only just now looking into this with a few companies in the data brokerage space:

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2012/12/databrokers.shtm

Perhaps we'll see the results of their inquiry published in a timely manner.  I think this source (once available) would be the one most relevant to Jonathan's continued questions about industry practices in this area.

Answer to Question 2:

With regards specifically to the 'out of band consent' - my read of section 6.3 of the Compliance and Scope document is that's implicitly a stateful relationship that the web site operator is expected to have with the user who is providing consent (via EULA, TOS, or other mechanism).  Therefore, it'd be feasible to expect some form of persistent consent management, but the discussion around this topic resulted in the line that's in the current Editor's Draft: "This protocol does not define what constitutes explicit consent in any jurisdiction; check with your lawyer."

Refocusing Point:

  The documents describe both a technical solution (6.3 of the TPE) and a business process (6.3 of the Compliance and Scope document) for managing exceptions.  I recognize that your second clarifying question pointed to the business process option.  My comments were initially focused on the technical solution.  Since both options are going to have their adherents during implementation, I simply reiterate: each must be sufficiently well defined that it is more efficient to adopt exceptions than it is to gate and require users disable DNT globally.

/brendan.