From: Rob van Eijk <rob@blaeu.com<mailto:rob@blaeu.com>>
Date: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 11:58 AM
To: Peter Swire <peter@peterswire.net<mailto:peter@peterswire.net>>
Cc: "public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org>" <public-tracking@w3.org<mailto:public-tracking@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: Request for comments on priorities for DNT

Dear Peter,

1. No linkable data collection when DNT=1. Matching (unique) identifiers are essential when it comes to user profiling, (micro)segmentation and (micro)optimization, (re)targeting, mapping user IDs between platforms, (real-time) buying and selling of data, end-user privacy controls, frequency capping of ads, web analytics, on-line advertising attribution and verification, web metrics, focus-group calibration etc. The digital marketing-list goes on and on, and innovation will add new business models. Whether matching (distinct) unique identifiers are used for each business purpose, or whether the future will standardize towards a single ID, the point is that when DNT=1, it means do not collect, by default.

2. Add proportionality to the global requirements (No Secondary Use, Data Minimization and Transparency,Reasonable Security,No Personalization) for permitted uses. It is a cornerstone principle in modern privacy thinking. When this group is truly looking for consensus on data processing practices, the proportionality of the determined business purposed and the means used to accomplish these must be taken into account.

3. Interoperability and meaningfulness. Being conformant to the W3C standards still leaves the gap to become legally compliant. Revisiting the party definitions, and align them with the EU concept of data controller/processor is going to make it easier to close that gap.

Regards,
Rob