Re: action-231, issue-153 requirements on other software that sets DNT headers

On Aug 22, 2012, at 15:01 , Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:

> David,
>
> If the user "does nothing" then they are given the express install which is "DNT ON by Default".  So to use your logic, "Do Nothing = DNT On by Default = Non-compliant".

Perhaps the devil is in the details, but I read the blog post (which is rather brief and all I have to go on) as saying the user can choose something vaguely like
* express:  this sets the following settings, with the following consequences:
  …
  do not track: enabled; this suggests to sites [[and so on]]…and may have consequences such as [[and so on]]
  …[[other settings]]
* custom:
  [  ] do not track: if checked, this suggests to sites [[and so on]]…and may have consequences such as [[and so on]]
  … [[other settings]]

If this is the case, the user has been asked in every case, and the word 'default' does not apply.

Perhaps we should wait to see the actual product; we may be off into hypothetical weeds here.

> - Shane

David Singer