From: David Singer [mailto:singer@apple.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:57 PM
To: public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)
Subject: Re: action-231, issue-153 requirements on other software that sets DNT headers

On Aug 22, 2012, at 14:14 , Tamir Israel <tisrael@cippic.ca> wrote:

> Shane -- can you (and others) please confirm whether MSFT's new proposal, which will prompt users to make a DNT election during Win8 install, is 'representing user's choice' or not? Also please confirm whether this is still a clear case or not?
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_on_the_issues/archive/2012/08/07/do-not-track-in-the-windows-8-set-up-experience.aspx
>
> To me it appeared as though MSFT was now making a good faith effort to bring their IE10 DNT into compliance.

I am a little puzzled, actually, as I take 'default' to mean what happens if you don't do anything.  If it asks every user on install/first-use, then every user is expressing a preference, and there is no 'default'.  The most that there can be is a suggestion, or an initially checked box, suggesting that the user take a certain choice or direction, but it's no longer a 'default' (IMHO).  (to the extent that H applies).

David Singer