Re: Summary of First Party vs. Third Party Tests

From: Mike Zaneis <mike@iab.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2011 13:37:40 +0000
To: Jonathan Mayer <jmayer@stanford.edu>
CC: "public-tracking@w3.org Group WG" <public-tracking@w3.org>
Jonathan, this is a very helpful discussion, providing the scenarios and possible real examples. My only comment is that I believe your second possible definition - legal business relationships - is overly broad. The corporate ownership factor is correct, but I don't think most/anyone would argue that a contract with a non-related company would make that company a first party (it could make them an agent of the first party if the data is only used for the benefit of the first party, but that is a different discussion). Most U.S. laws treat legal "affiliates", companies with some common ownership, as first parties (i.e. ESPN and ABC are treated as first party to the parent company Disney). I think that is the more useful straw man to use for this discussion.

Mike Zaneis
SVP & General Counsel, IAB
(202) 253-1466