Re: Comments on tracking-compliance.html

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 14:34:58 -0400
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org
To: Justin Brookman <justin@cdt.org>

Le 25 oct. 2011 à 23:16, Justin Brookman a écrit :
> Fair enough, but the legal definition of consent is actually incredibly vague in many jurisdictions, and we may wish to specify a higher standard for users in those places where the requirements are weak or unclear.

In fact I do not think we can. For a simple reason, W3C produces
documents which can be used for enabling mechanism, protocols,
etc. Web accessibility documents are a good example. They explain
how the technology can be used to create accessible documents (i.e.
documents used by people with disabilities).

We can in that group provide documents explaining how to develop
Web sites, clients which will give choices to users to browse with
more opacity (or masked if you wish). We can't create document that
mandate legal implications. Users organizations, privacy advocates,
etc might use our documents to push the legal issues in their
countries demonstrating how it is possible to do it.

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/