Re: Comments on tracking-compliance.html

You keep using this term, "out of scope."  I do not think it means what
you think it means.  The scope of the group is, /inter alia/, to define
"specifications for a simple machine-readable preference expression
mechanism ('Do Not Track') and technologies for selectively allowing or
blocking tracking elements"and to "define the scope of the user
preference and practices for compliance with it in a way that will
inform and be informed by the technical specification."  The purpose of
the group is to delineate that practices that are necessary to
meaningfully comply with a DNT header.  I believe that (1) a statement
that you are complying with the header (I have expressed flexibility as
to how this should look---"DNT honored here" flag may be enough) and (2)
a requirement that permission to ignore the header be clear and
prominent are both necessary for the setting to function as intended.
Without them, the spec will not work.  I suppose the group could have
been chartered to just decide the syntax of what a DNT header looks
like, but the scope of the group is broader than that.  This is not a
question of "fix[ing] privacy regulation around the world."  This is a
question of determining how to comply with a DNT-header instruction.
Determining how consent should be obtained in order to comply with a
spec is ordinarily within the scope of a W3C mandate
(http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/NOTE-dap-privacy-reqs-20100629/#privacy-consent)

Justin Brookman
Director, Consumer Privacy Project
Center for Democracy&  Technology