Re: ISSUE-5: What is the definition of tracking?

From: David Wainberg <dwainberg@appnexus.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 17:13:38 -0400
To: Jonathan Mayer <jmayer@stanford.edu>
CC: Sean Harvey <sharvey@google.com>, "public-tracking@w3.org Group WG" <public-tracking@w3.org>

On 10/24/11 8:18 PM, Jonathan Mayer wrote:
> A few responding thoughts below.
>
> Jonathan
>

> I would strongly oppose limiting our definition of tracking to only
> cover pseudonymously identified or personally identified data.  There
> are a number of ways to track a user across websites without a single
> pseudonymous or personal identifier.
I'm not sure what you mean here. Can you provide examples?
> I'm very sympathetic to wanting to discuss the policy motivations
> underlying the definitions we establish.  But I'm concerned that, in
> practice, the discussion would be a rat hole for the working group.
>  There's just too much material to cover, and there are some
> significant differences of opinion that would take far longer to iron
> out in the general case than in the context of specific definitions.
>  We trended towards an unproductive general policy conversation in
> Cambridge, in some measure at my prompting; in retrospect I think the
> co-chairs were wise to move on.

Hard != unproductive. This standard seems to be 10% tech and 90% policy.
How will we develop rational policy without exploring the underlying
policy rationale?
> I don't follow this point.  The first party vs. third party
> distinction has, in my understanding, been an attempt to carefully
> define the sort of organizational boundaries that give rise to privacy
> concerns.  I haven't viewed the definition as a shortcut in any sense
> - it does a lot of work.
Can you elaborate on how organizational boundaries give rise to privacy
concerns? I'm not saying they don't; I'm genuinely interested to see it
spelled out.