Re: [ISSUE-60] Will a recipient know if it itself is a 1st or 3rd party?

For the most part, I think that a first or third party (a) is easy to define and (b) easy to identify.

For a user, the first party is the site they chose to visit, and that they see they are visiting (the address in the address bar); 3rd parties are all other sites.

As said below, many services know that they are only ever 3rd parties.

For other services, it's usually the case (and they can easily make it so if not) that when they are used as 3rd parties, the URL identifies that fact (not many users choose to load http://www.example.com/tracer/1x1.gif, or other pieces of content designed only to be embedded).  And indeed, the browser could identify, if we really need it.

The problematic cases I can see are (a) a site that is designed to be used both stand-alone and as a frame in another site or (b) frames that are designed to be included either in  layup from the same site (whereupon they are first-party) or in a mash-up made on another site (whereupon they are 3rd).

On Oct 16, 2011, at 4:55 , Jennifer Karan wrote:

> Actually, I think that depending on the type of company, it might be easy to determine if you are a third party.  For example, DoubleVerify (a verification company), would never be a 1st party.  We are a technology company.  Users do not come to us.  For content companies, like Yahoo, this would not work, but ad servers, analytics, rich media, data collectors, ad exchanges, etc., I think would always and would only be a third party.  If we can agree to this, then, maybe like first parties, we can have a conversation similar to the 1st party definitions which says "when you know that you are the 3rd party...".
>
> Jennifer

David Singer