Re: ISSUE-5: What is the definition of tracking?

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:26:45 +0200
To: Jonathan Mayer <jmayer@stanford.edu>
Cc: Tracking Protection Working Group WG <public-tracking@w3.org>
* Jonathan Mayer wrote:
>And just about all the press coverage has been about third-party tracking.

(I do not think it's particularily important what the press may have
been reporting in the past, but the above does not match my impression
and I've checked a number of leading german news sources and there are
few articles that even attempt to draw this distinction, and when they
do it's rather vague; a concept like "across web sites" appears in less
than 2 in 12 articles in my non-scientific sample; more common are
mentions of personalized ads, and news web sites or search engines do
not need cross-site information to make personalized ads.)