From: Clay Webster [mailto:clay.webster@cbsinteractive.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 06, 2011 5:58 PM
To: Shane Wiley; Amy Colando (LCA); Aleecia M. McDonald; public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: first parties

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com<mailto:wileys@yahoo-inc.com>> wrote:

With Tom's Addition:
"This standard imposes no requirements on first-party websites.  A first-party website MAY take steps to protect user privacy in responding to a Do Not Track request and SHOULD improve notice with respect to DNT."

I agree with the Initial Statement but feel that Tom's request was out of scope to suggest first parties must improve notice across the board (not just with respect to DNT).

I would suggest the following (hopefully a winning middle-ground):
"This standard imposes no requirements on first-party websites.  A first-party website MAY take steps to protect user privacy in responding to a Do Not Track request and SHOULD provide appropriate notice in what manner they support Do Not Track if they chose to do so."

I could agree with this.  I think the "if they chose to do so" could be left off given that it's a SHOULD.

What form(s) would "appropriate notice" normally take?

--cw

Clay Webster
Associate Vice President, Platform Infrastructure
T 908-541-3724   F 908-575-7474
1200 Route 22 East, Bridgewater NJ 08807

[https://gadgets.cbsinteractive.com/resources/cbs-interactive-logo.gif]