Re: "cross-site"

On Nov 15, 2011, at 1:17 PM, Karl Dubost wrote:
> Le 15 nov. 2011 à 15:34, Tom Lowenthal a écrit :
>> Mark, the issue of sites vs entities has been discussed at length in the
>> group. Please read the mailing list archives and meeting minutes to get
>> appraised of the discussion so far.
>
> Mark is talking about the document
>    Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)
>    W3C Working Draft 14 November 2011
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-tracking-dnt-20111114/
>
> This document is aimed primarily at the implementers audience
> (not policy makers). People who will deal with the HTTP layer
> of the client and the server. The specification has to be
> unambiguous for this audience. At the HTTP layer, There is no
> such things as a business entity.
>
> There are hosts, domain names, data, etc. We have to clearly
> keep that in mind when we are defining the technology.

The DNT header field has specific semantics.  Part of those semantics
is that it expresses the user's preference regarding the tracking (or
data sharing) from one branded site to a differently branded site.
It does not express the user's preference regarding tracking that
occurs wholly within one branded site.

....Roy