Re: Metadata in the VTT file header (bug 15851), use cases (and a need to close this)

On Aug 30, 2012, at 4:15 , Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:58:05 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There's a whole thread about this how we arrived at this at:
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-texttracks/2012Feb/0031.html
>>
>> Happy to reconsider, though, but might be good to address the concerns
>> raised there.
>
> Yes, I've read it. The discussion seemed to assume that all metadata has to be placed between the WEBVTT header and a blank line, and the resulting syntax is horrible IMHO. The assumption is wrong. We can use blocks and support the same things with a cleaner syntax.

If we can stay within what existing implementations will at worst ignore, I would prefer to.  I don't think we should make (a) existing files incompatible without really really good reason or (b) existing parsers incompatible without pretty good reason, if we can possibly help it, and it seems pretty easy to avoid having blank lines in the 'static declarations' we want to make.

David Singer