Re: Storage clearing

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:04 PM, James Graham <james@hoppipolla.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 23/03/17 19:00, Quinten Yearsley wrote:
> > +jsbell since this is relevant to previous conversations
> >
> > Original message for context:
> > https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-test-infra/2017J
> anMar/0040.html
> >
> > I'm not opposed to the proposal of explicitly marking tests as requiring
> > storage to be cleared; implicit in this proposal is the idea that
> generally
> > most tests should not depend on have storage cleared, and if they do
> > require that, then they should explicitly say so. Is that right?
> >
> > I know previously there was some discussion about whether storage should
> > always be cleared before the start of every test, but maybe that's not
> > necessary and would be slow?
> >
> > Anyway, I'm not exactly sure now how we would implement it for Blink, but
> > I'm confident that we could, and the proposal sounds OK to me :-)
>
> At least the way it works for gecko seems not-obviously-fast so I'm
> reluctant to try clearing storage after every test always,

That's been our sticking point for some time - clearing data before every
test would slow down the reams of non-storage tests by an appreciable
amount. In theory - we don't have numbers.

> although I agree it's the morally correct thing to do :)

Yes... and no. If you run a test manually in a browser, it's going to have
your user profile data, not a clean state. So tests should be resilient -
resetting persistent state before running, and ideally being good citizens
and cleaning up used storage afterwards.

In the meantime, I'll go ahead and implement this in the manifest/wptrunner.

sgtm

https://www.w3.org/TR/clear-site-data/ seems relevant, BTW.