Running a subset of tests (was: Knowing which tests are in the repository)

On Friday, August 23, 2013 at 12:58 PM, James Graham wrote:
> On 22/08/13 23:10, Tobie Langel wrote:
> > If we end up wanting to avoid running specific tests, I suggest tying
> > that to the versioning system or the issue tracker (e.g. provide an
> > option to not run files that have an issue opened against them).
>
> That wouldn't solve any of the issues that have been brought up in this
> thread, so I'm not sure why you are proposing it.

Yeah, sorry, could have been clearer. It seemed Kevin and Dirk were discussing a not only to describe how to run a specific test, but also a way to run certain tests and not others.
> I am also not willing
> to tie our infrastructure to github more than is absolutely necessary
> (i.e. depending on being able to fetch from the repository is
> unavoidable, depending on the issue tracker is not acceptable).

As long as you agree on a format for running a subset of tests (e.g. a list of urls), the way you populate this actually doesn't matter much.

You could have your own list of files you're happy to run.

You could generate a list by finding all the files that point to a given spec.

You could choose to not run tests that have issues filed against them. Etc.

Agreed this conversation is slightly tangential to the previous one, hence splitting it up here and renaming it.

--tobie