From: Jonas Sicking [mailto:jonas@sicking.cc]
Sent: den 7 maj 2013 18:45
To: Nilsson, Claes1
Cc: public-sysapps@w3.org<mailto:public-sysapps@w3.org>; Isberg, Anders; Edenbrandt, Anders; Isaksson, Björn
Subject: Re: [sysapps/raw socket api]:Proposal for resolution of remaining issues.

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Nilsson, Claes1 <Claes1.Nilsson@sonymobile.com<mailto:Claes1.Nilsson@sonymobile.com>> wrote:
https://github.com/sysapps/raw-sockets/issues/11: Devices have more than one network interface. However, the issue is whether web applications should be able to select a specific local network interface to use for a socket or if always the "default interface"/the configured interface should be used. My view is that we should provide this possibility by an optional field in the constructor's options attribute. I must admit that I have difficulties in motivating this by tangible use cases but I haven't seen any existing TCP or UDP socket API that  does not provide the possibility to bind a socket to a local address. So there must be use cases and I propose that we keep this possibility in the specification. Objections?

I definitely think we need use cases for all features of the spec. The fact that all existing libraries support an outgoing IP number might be an effect of that they are commonly used on servers rather than just clients.
/ Jonas