Re: question about screen_size in Runtime and Security Model

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Lars Knudsen <larsgk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ( related proposal:
> http://mounirlamouri.github.com/sysapps/proposals/RunTime-Security/Overview.html
> )
>
> I think it's good that you are working on a spec to encapsulate what is
> needed to make it somewhat easy to do generic app descriptors for web apps -
> as opposed to fiddling with all kinds of Apple (or other) specific tags and
> tricks to make webapps behave the same across platforms.  However, I am not
> too fond of the spec proposal I found on github, where the screen_size
> options seem limited to minimum width/height.
>
> What I need as an app developer, is the viewport meta tag "done right",
> where I can say, e.g. "give me a screen of 1920 x 1080 (virtual) pixels" and
> the platform would figure out how to best match it within the device
> currently displaying it.  Of course, the actual pixel count could be made
> available to the application, but to make it very simple for 99% cases,
> where you just need a virtual fixed size game/app area - and be sure it's
> fixed - why not just provide an easy way of doing so?  Currently, it seems
> that - apart from preventing auto orientation change, iOS is the only
> platform providing this (through viewport tricks, event stealing, etc.) and
> IE is getting there.

Wouldn't this result in black top/bottom or left/right edges on most
screens? Isn't this fairly undesirable in most cases?

Also, I wonder if this wouldn't be better solved using CSS somehow.
I.e. to be able to say that you want a window to be scaled to a
certain aspect ratio. In particular, this seems like something that
web page authors would want access to, which means that sticking this
feature in an application manifest isn't a good solution.

> Given that this spec could be the NextBigThing(TM) for webapps, please make
> sure game and app developers are heard - not just platform implementors and
> spec'ers ;)

Absolutely! That's not just true for this spec, but for every spec
developed at W3C. Unfortunately it's still something we're not great
at. We're trying to get better at this.

/ Jonas