Re: SAWSDL in WXMO-MX [was Re: Commercial/Real-world Semantic Web Services?]

From: Bijan Parsia <bparsia@isr.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 14:31:48 +0100
Cc: Matthias Klusch <klusch@dfki.de>, public-sws-ig@w3.org
To: Jacek Kopecky <jacek.kopecky@deri.org>

On Jul 6, 2007, at 2:07 PM, Jacek Kopecky wrote:

> Dear Matthias, Bijan,
>
> I'm afraid I missed your previous discussion on this, but I'll
> chime in.
>
> Bijan is worried that SAWSDL is just hooks without semantics. That is
> intentional.

I know. I just diagreed with it. See:

>>> But this is a disagreement with the basic premise of SWASDL and
>>> WSDL- S:
>>> I don't see that it does anything that would permit substantive
>>> interop.

> The big SWS frameworks were previously quite detached from
> WSDL,

This is substantively false. I built OWL-S systems that were quite
intimately *a*ttached to wsdl, at least in the sense that they
actively used WSDL and WSDL based services in quite a seemless way.
You may disagree with the technical choices of HOW WSDL was
incorporated (indeed, y'all prefer to modify WSDL documents; fine;
that's an orthogonal point).

> and so also from "Real Web Services", as the industry can see it.

I assure you that companies such as Fujistu and Lockheed Martin
understood the OWL-S use of WSDL to be connecting to Real Web Services.

But this is neither here nor there. SAWSDL is a fact. I didn't agree
it was worth *my* effort, so I didn't give any! But y'all think it
was worth yours, and you've accomplished something. Yay!

It's not like having hooks is *damaging*.

[snip some "happy side effects" of SAWSDL]
> I see SAWSDL as the catalyst; it doesn't do anything by itself, but
> its
> presence makes possible (or speeds up) other developments.

That's certainly possible. And even if it were fruitful "only" as
marketing, that could justify the effort from a W3C perspective. I
don't agree, but it's no skin off my nose. Really! I hope my
disagreement is no skin off yours, either.

> As for a forum to discuss these things, there's going to be a
> semantics4ws workshop [4] soon, and after that, depending on the
> results
> and other things, I may be trying to get the W3C to organize another
> workshop like we had 2 years ago [5]. And of course there's always
> opportunities for birds of a feather to get together at various
> events.

See my earlier message (which I think was the point of Matthias's
post, not to dredge up old debates).

Cheers,
Bijan.