Re: SAWSDL in WXMO-MX [was Re: Commercial/Real-world Semantic Web Services?]

Dear Matthias, Bijan,

I'm afraid I missed your previous discussion on this, but I'll chime in.

Bijan is worried that SAWSDL is just hooks without semantics. That is
intentional. The big SWS frameworks were previously quite detached from
WSDL, and so also from "Real Web Services", as the industry can see it.

I mean, there's value in making a framework independent of the
underlying technologies, with a grounding layer that connects the
semantics with the syntactics. But the value may be outweighed by the
increased complexity in how the layers relate.

As a standard, SAWSDL basically says "whatever you SWS people do, you
should build on WSDL". Both WSMO and OWL-S now have grounding to SAWSDL
(OWL-S grounding was presented as a paper at OWL-S workshop at ESWC),
see [1] and [2]. And while working on the grounding, it becomes clear
that the frameworks can be refactored from the point of view of having
WSDL as the world model. We have WSMO-Light in the pipeline here [3],
already submitted for publication. In doing such refactoring, the
frameworks are broken down into pieces that can be much easier to agree
on across the spectrum.

I see SAWSDL as the catalyst; it doesn't do anything by itself, but its
presence makes possible (or speeds up) other developments.

As for a forum to discuss these things, there's going to be a
semantics4ws workshop [4] soon, and after that, depending on the results
and other things, I may be trying to get the W3C to organize another
workshop like we had 2 years ago [5]. And of course there's always
opportunities for birds of a feather to get together at various events.

Best regards,
Jacek

[1] http://www.wsmo.org/TR/d24/d24.2/v0.1/#grounding_sawsdl
[2] http://www.ai.sri.com/OWL-S-2007/final-versions/OWL-S-2007-Martin-Final.pdf