Re: SAWSDL in WXMO-MX [was Re: Commercial/Real-world Semantic Web Services?]

dear bijan,

it gets even more interesting now:
W3C is pleased to announce the advancement of "Semantic Annotations for
WSDL and XML Schema" to Proposed Recommendation:
     http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/PR-sawsdl-20070705/

Pointing to our very brief discussion (below), i am wondering whether
there will be any need for an event that is going to discuss this and
the consequences for not only the large R&D investments on owl-s, wsml,
swsf world wide but the vision of semantic web services itself?
personally, i would highly appreciate to obtain some valuable answers
from the community and the W3C representatives on this publicly
and transparently at such a forum (without side-wars), maybe at the next
iswc conference?

what do you think?

cordial regs, matthias

Bijan Parsia schrieb:

  >> well, from what i have seen so far about trying to partially marry
>> WSML with SWASDL (WSDL-S) that might be interesting for industrial
>> practice. however, as far as i can (quickly) read from the working  draft
>> of SWASDL, it provides some flexibility in basically attaching  anything
>> you want (semantic models by modelREference) but leaving the agent  alone
>> when it comes to formal reasoning upon these models to find  grounded
>> relations and dependencies between heterogeneous concepts  and data;
>> the xsd (schema lifting and lowering) mappings are merely syntactic at
>> data type level - means at the same level as WSDL analyzer / mapping
>> tools.
>

> Yes. If I read you right, this has long been my complaint about  SAWSDL.
> They're just hooks without any semantics to the hooks. This  worries me
> (and I don't see the advantage over plain WSDL  extensibility).
>
> For example, if I use a modelReference...what does it *mean*? Is that
> *in* the model as well? E.g.,:
>     http://www.w3.org/TR/sawsdl/#AnnotatingOperations
>
> """The annotation of the operation element carries a reference to a
> concept in a semantic model that provides a high level description of
> the operation, specifies its behavioral aspects or includes other
> semantic definitions."""
>
> It does all this? Any of this? I think of high level descriptions as
> being pretty vague whereas a behavioral specification is much tighter
> (is this in terms of preconditions and effects?).
>
> But this is a disagreement with the basic premise of SWASDL and WSDL- S:
> I don't see that it does anything that would permit substantive
> interop. I.e., all the work is left to d.
>
> Cheers,
> Bijan.

Dr. Matthias Klusch
German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI)
Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3, 66123 Saarbruecken, Germany
Phone: +49-681-302-5297, Fax: +49-681-302-2235
http://www.dfki.de/~klusch/
Firmensitz: Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes