Re: Semantics of WSDL vs. semantics of service

On Mar 16, 2006, at 11:36 AM, Shi, Xuan wrote:
[snip]

>  I love and deploy both
> approaches, so if someone said I don't like SOAP, that's not true.

That was me in
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sws-ig/2006Mar/0052.html>
wherein I wrote:
	"""        4) Xuan doesn't like SOAP, and is willing to conflate SOAP
and WSDL""""

I derived this from
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sws-ig/2006Mar/0051.html>:

"""At last, my question then is, since the same service and function
can be
deployed by REST service, why do we need the
serialization/deserialization
process, which means, WSDL can be deprecated, although many people are
not
happy to see such a conclusion.

As for service semantics, we need more standards and agreements on
describing the meaning of the service. If we can describe it, then we
can
invoke it directly over HTTP without SOAP/WSDL. It is not an assertion,
but
now a demonstrated fact."""

But hey, you say so many things, so confusingly, I can't be to
confident. I'm happy to withdraw that claim. But you certainly
conflated them.

>  However,
> it is true that we can find an easy way to replace the full
> functionalities
> offered by SOAP and WSDL. As demonstrated in my last email, we can
> deploy
> the same functionality by either SOAP or REST services. Although some
> people
> may not like the OSRR approach,

Yes, we don't care for a non-standard subset of what WSDL offers esp.
when the proponent makes wild and false claims about it and wsdl. See
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sws-ig/2006Mar/0054.html>.
I've made these points to you publically and privately.

>  they can ignore it but they cannot deny OSRR
> can be used by ALL users other than just programmers to deploy the
> power of
> distributed computing resources over the Internet. My research started
> from
> SOAP/WSDL Web services, but the result makes many people unhappy
> obviously.
> I know not everyone likes the truth in this world and we all know the
> story
> of Emperor's New Cloth.
[snip]

Actually, what I hate is lies, distortion, confusion, obscurity, and
bogus reasoning.  Look to your own nakedness.

Cheers,
Bijan.