Re: [fwd] Draft charters for work on Semantics for WS

Joel Farrell wrote:

> One point of clarification.  There is a difference between the annotations
> in WSDL-S and those in described in the of OWL-S WSDL grounding.  In WSDL-S
> a modelReference or a SchemaMapping refer directly to a domain ontology.
> The OWL-S WSDL extensions refer to parts of an OWL-S ontology, which in
> turn can refer to a domain ontology.

That's an interesting point, but I don't think the distinction holds up
across the board.  It's a straightforward distinction with respect to
inputs and outputs, at least in the simplest cases.  But what if I want
to annotate a WSDL operation, using modelReference?  Let me take OWL-S
initially, for purposes of illustration.  If we arrange for
modelReference to point to an OWL-S object, it would most naturally be
an instance of the class AtomicProcess.  The instance might be named
something like "BuyBook" or "ReserveFlight" or "RequestPurchaseOrder".
The atomic process instance belongs *both* to an an OWL-S ontology
(because its an atomic process) and a domain ontology (because it has to
do with book-buying, flight-reserving, or purchase-order-requesting) at
the same time.

Similarly, if you decide to have your operation's modelReference point
to a UML diagram, you won't just be pointing to some domain concept.  I
assume you will most likely point to a StateChart diagram.  Even if we
allow ourselves to think loosely of UML as an ontology language, it
would be counterintuitive to say that a StateChart diagram represents
*just* an element in a domain ontology.  A StateChart diagram represents
a particular notion of process, just as the OWL-S AtomicProcess
represents a particular notion of process.  A StateChart diagram will
also have some domain-specific aspects incorporated into it.  So it's
like the OWL-S examples (Buybook, etc) in that it captures *both* some
aspects of service/process ontology and some aspects of domain ontology.

My point is that, in general, whatever you refer to with a
modelReference on an operation, whether it's in OWL-S, UML, WSMO, or
otherwise, the referent will capture *both* some aspects of
service/process ontology and some aspects of domain ontology.

> Of course, WSDL-S could also be used
> to point to OWL-S parameters and processes, so there is no conflict.  There
> is only the question of how big this first step (in the WG) should be.
>
> I have no objection to OWL-S being an input document.  The question we need
> to ask is one of scope.  OWL-S, SWSF and WSMO all are based on having a
> formal ontology for modeling Web services, beyond the implicit one embodied
> in WSDL , so this will eventually be needed to achieve the full vision
> which the other group W3C proposes will define.   If the scope includes
> formally defining a service ontology, the WG will have to collectively
> figure out the best way to do this.

Personally I think W3C can provide a great deal more value to the WS
community if it does define a core service ontology for use along with a
set of WSDL semantic annotations.  It should be defined in RDF/OWL and
would thus provide a natural bridge result between the Web service and
Semantic Web activities at W3C.  The ontology should be provided not as
"the" only semantic model, but as one canonical source of referents for
the WSDL semantic annotations.  This initial core service ontology would
not be as extensive as OWL-S is, but it would distill the low-hanging,
well-understood fruit that is pretty much in common between WSMO, OWL-S,
SWSF, Meteor-S (I think) and other work on Semantic Web Services, and
which is naturally expressible in OWL.  (Preconditions and effects, in
particular, would not be part of the initial core ontology because they
don't get expressed naturally in OWL.)

Cheers,
David