Re: Draft OWL-S Process technical ['securiQ.Watchdog': überprüft] ['Watchdog': checked]

From: Drew McDermott <drew.mcdermott@yale.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:33:11 -0400 (EDT)
To: public-sws-ig@w3.org

> [Joachim Peer]
> i have a question regarding the "InCondition"/"WithOutput"/"hasEffect"
> construct:
>
> How should an agent interpret such a construct...I think there could be
> (at least) two possible interpretations:
>
> a) "if 'InCondition' is true, then expect effect 'hasEffect' to occur and
> expect to receive an output 'WithOutput'" (somehow an 'ex ante'
> interpretation)
>
> b) "if you receive an output as defined by 'WithOutput' then you can
> assume that the effect 'hasEffect' has occured, which means that the
> Condition 'InCondition' happened to be true on service invocation"
> (somehow an 'ex post' interpretation)

As far as I can see, these are the _same_ interpretation.  They have
the same semantics, which is essentially your (a).  There are two (or
more) ways to _use_ the information, one being to predict what message
will be generated from your knowledge of which condition is true, and
the other is to posit the condition after receiving a message.  These
are just deduction vs. abduction on the same basic facts.

                                             -- Drew

--
                                   -- Drew McDermott
                                      Yale Computer Science Department