RE: Discussion: OWL-S and Industry Adoption

Josh,

You raise a number of interesting issues. I have embedded my views
below.

This OWL-S standard is still a W3C submission.  Is it still to early to
discuss the viability of OWL-S before it becomes a recommendation?
Perhaps many are still trying to digest the specifications?

Yes I think it is probably too early, not so much because of the time
required to digest the specifications but rather because of the lack of
experience of applying the formalism to real examples and (crucially)
the fact that there are other emerging technologies in the same area
(see below).

Are there not enough concrete examples/documentation for users to
follow, and help expose the benefit of semantically describing a web
service?

More concrete examples would help but the issue is not so much the
benefits of semantically describing a web service but whether OWL-S is
adequate for this task. This is still an open question. SWS /= OWL-S

Are the good examples that do exist not given enough publicity, and a
convenient way to search for them?

Not sure this is a key issue.

Are there not enough tools to help automate the process of semantically
describing a web service?

More and better tools are certainly required but the interest in SWS is
there, though not in OWL-S specifically (exclusively).

Are there other standards or emerging technologies that overlap with
OWL-S, and lessen its importance?

Yes. WSMO (see www.wsmo.org <http://www.wsmo.org/> ) is an important
emerging technology in this area. A recent comparison of OWL-S and WSMO
argued that WSMO had increased "applicability in real domains" (see
paper http://www.uibk.ac.at/~c703225/papers/conceptualcomparison.pdf,
which appeared in ECOSW04
http://www.sigmod.org/sigmod/dblp/db/conf/ecows/ecows2004.html ). From
this, it seems that other technologies (esp. WSMO) need careful
consideration in any standardisation process.

Given the current state of play, it is unsurprising that few industrials
have adopted OWL-S. It is too early to make this call. Many large
industrials which I have contact with are, however, very interested in
the notion of semantic web services in general - see, for example, the
SWSI Industrial Partners list at http://www.swsi.org/partners.html. Many
of these organisations will be looking at both WSMO and OWL-S.

Dr John Davies
Manager, Next Generation Web Research
BT

e: john.nj.davies@bt.com
w: www.quizxml.com/people/JohnDavies
t: +44 1473 609583
f: +44 1473 609832

British Telecommunications plc
Registered office: 81 Newgate Street London EC1A 7AJ
Registered in England no. 1800000

This electronic message contains information from British
Telecommunications plc which may be privileged and confidential. The
information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity
named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message
in error, please notify us by telephone or email (to the number or
address above) immediately.

Activity and use of the British Telecommunications plc email system is
monitored to secure its effective operation and for other lawful
business purposes. Communications using this system will also be
monitored and may be recorded to secure effective operation and for
other lawful business purposes.

  _____