Re: The "Social Web" vs the "Fediverse"

Three quick follow-ups, as relevant links have crossed my feeds since Saturday:

1.) On a more bullish note, Anil Dash had a great piece about the social web (or the "human web") in Rolling Stone:

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-commentary/internet-future-about-to-get-weird-1234938403/

2.) On a more bearish note, @fromjason@mastodon.social wrote a great 3-part blogpost interpreting recent events in light of the history of social media business models, Meta's unique version of EEE ("Copy, Acquire, and/or Kill"), and how Meta could become the "first lords of the 'social web' by riding regulatory changes into an Infra-aaS niche with no challengers (or anti-trust problems) in sight:

https://www.fromjason.xyz/p/notebook/copy-acquire-kill-how-meta-could-pull-off-the-most-extraordinary-pivot-in-tech-history/

3.) So as not to end on a sour note, fromjason also posted this lovely thread that has a lot in common with Anil's:

https://mastodon.social/@fromjason/111620375831107518

Happy New Year!
__bumble