Re: The "Social Web" vs the "Fediverse"

That is exactly what we are working on at Neuhub: websites with social
features built-in. And we are even going farther by creating federated
communities with privacy features and a federated single sign on.

And most of the technologies/protocols to make this happen already
exist. They are just not popular with the rest of the fediverse, and are
not documented well (although we are working on that).

1. We use ActivityPub for public posts and to connect to the rest of the
fediverse.

2. We use Zot or Nomad protocols for private channels, groups, and
forums, since ActivityPub doesn't have all of the features we need.

3. We use OpenWebAuth (Magic Sign On) as a federated single sign on. You
can use your social identity to log into websites, forums, and social
media websites so you can interact locally.

The protocols to do these things exist and have been around for awhile
as part of Hubzilla and Streams.

With these technologies, we can create interesting things like:

1. Websites with a built-in fediverse-enabled channel, that is visible
on their websites, and also can be followed on the fediverse. Their
fediverse channel is part of their website and has their domain name. No
third-party fediverse server required.

2. Communities and forums that can be accessed both locally (via local
login and Magic Sign On), and remotely via ActivityPub or Zot or Nomad.
You can use your social identity to interact with the forum or community
either way.

3. Create private groups, forums, or membership websites, that people
can participate in using their fediverse identity (via Zot, Nomad, and
OpenWebAuth).

As you mentioned, there is a difference between the fediverse and the
social web. Some people want to create a clone of Twitter or Facebook or
Instagram or YouTube or whatever. Some people want to create websites
that interact with the fediverse. It is a different paradigm.

In 2024 we will be launching several websites that demonstrate our
concepts, and will be working on the documentation so others can
participate too. We hope that our work will be a game changer.

But the social web is being built, and it can connect to the fediverse.
It just needs some additional features that ActivityPub doesn't have,
but luckily we have Zot, Nomad, and OpenWebAuth for those features.

Scott M. Stolz

P.S. /email resent to //public-swicg@w3.org so it shows up the discussion.
/

/