Re: SWICG Community Meeting on September 22nd

čt 21. 9. 2023 v 16:38 odesílatel Benjamin Goering <ben@bengo.co> napsal:

> All interested Community Group members are encouraged to attend the
> meeting, especially if you want to record your position on a WG and data
> portability task force
>
> — jamesg@jamesg.blog
>
> As a point of order, I’d like to gently push back on any interpretation of
> the above that attending a meeting is the only or primary way for group
> participants to record their positions on matters or as part of the
> recommended conensus-seeking for group decisions.
>
> W3C Process on Consensus
> <https://www.w3.org/2023/Process-20230612/#Consensus> says
> "Decisions may be made during meetings (face-to-face or distributed) *as
> well as through persistent text-based discussions*.” (emphasis added).
>
> Sustained concerns raised here on-list or other persistent text-based
> discussions are legitimate concerns, even without a participant in an
> inconvenient time zone staying up late to attend a sync meeting.
>
> --
>
> I'd like to focus on only voting for a WG of a specific scope.
>
> - dzagidulin@gmail.com
>
> We’re voting on a *recommended scope* to pass on to W3C staff.
>
> - evan@prodromou.name
>
> Voting is not an appropriate decision making process at this point, less
> than a week after the first discussions of chartering a WG on this mailing
> list, and less than two weeks after the surprise unposted agenda item at
> TPAC (minutes not yet posted here
> <https://github.com/swicg/meetings/tree/main>. We should adopt/post an
> operating agreement of where the minutes will be published in a timely
> fashion so we can also approve their accuracy).
>
> W3C Group Process on voting
> <https://www.w3.org/2023/Process-20230612/#Votes>:
>
> A group should only conduct a vote to resolve a substantive issue after
> the Chair has determined that all available means of reaching
> consensus through technical discussion and compromise have failed, and that
> a vote is necessary to break a deadlock.
>

> "Consensus is a core value of W3C.”
> For more outside of w3c’s process on consensus vs voting, see “Decision
> Making Models: Voting versus Consensus" from SAMHSA.gov
> <https://healthandlearning.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Decision-Making-Models-Voting-versus-Consensus.pdf>
> .

Thank you for highlighting this, Ben. I've long believed that voting isn't
the best means for reaching consensus, though you've articulated it more
eloquently.

The IETF motto: ""We reject kings, presidents, and voting. We believe in
rough consensus and running code"