Re: AS2/AP tasks for a chartered social web working group

On 19/09/2023 09:38, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> There have been multiple high profile formal objections to this item
> in the past, including from the former chair of the SWWG.  Highly
> controversial items put a charter at risk, so we should avoid that.
> Let's stick to ActivityPub, ActivityStreams and fediverse in general.
Sorry but I fear this^ might cross the line into confirmation bias, on
top of putting words in tantek's mouth. If I recall correctly, tantek
did not object to the idea of a W3C WG defining export formats or
interoperability mechanisms, he objected to the demonstrability of
interop and the economic modeling of its decentralization claims being
guaranteed by that spec
<https://www.w3.org/2021/09/21-did10-minutes.html>, i.e. its readiness
to be a full W3C standard in its current form, which is not the same as
W3C calling for DIDs to be wiped off the face of the earth or declaring
key-based identity interop harmful to software everywhere. "Highly
controversial" is gilding the lily; if anything is controversial, it is
not DIDs themselves but the DID *WG* and the mismatch between its
outputs and W3C norms and timelines.

Furthermore, I completely disagree that an AP or SW WG is at risk of
being rejected for /failing to promise not/ to use any draft, final, or
future outputs of the DID WG. I'd need to see some citations there, and
would rather not make CG decisions based on hearsay or opinions that
most of the stakeholders to this decision have no way of confirming
(most of us can't just ring up TAG members and ask).

If anything, I would argue the opposite risk is more substantial:
imposing limitations on what implementers can experiment with in their
spec extensions could well make many CG implementers suspicious that the
WG effort is motivated by W3C insiders deciding for the whole community
which extensions are valid and which are to be banned or deprecated. If
we force an already tenuous and heterogeneous community to choose
between A.) a WG charter full of carve-outs and constraints that don't
have meaningful consensus and B.) no WG, we might end up with two
communities, and I'm not even sure the one happy with the WG will be the
bigger one (measured by end-users in currently-live production
deployments).

I think we should optimize for buy-in, legitimacy, and collaboration,
and be very careful to avoid ratifying a charter that closes more doors
than it opens (or even one that /appears /to, in the eyes of folks with
little W3C experience).

Thanks,
__bumblefudge