Re: META/Facebook/Insta feeds via ActivityPub and ads?

> On 22. May 2023, at 17:25, Evan Prodromou <evan@prodromou.name> wrote:
>
> I think platforms that inject advertisements into a user's stream should be aware that filtering will happen along the path, and that other platforms are under no obligation to prevent that filtering by the user’s remote followers.
>
> Advertisements should also be clearly labeled as such.

Federation should not be a „free“ transport mechanism for ads. Is what I would consider the fundamental rule.  Instances are free to insert ads that are clearly marked into their local streams but they should never send them in federation traffic, as that would mean free riding on compute/network resources of others.

Local ads, yes, federated ads, no.

Jan