Re: End-to-end Encrypted Messaging in ActivityPub

so 20. 5. 2023 v 3:25 odesílatel Sean O'Brien <sean.obrien@yale.edu> napsal:

> I second Evan's proposal. We need simple PGP-style key exchange for DMs.
> In my opinion, it's rather embarrassing that the hundreds of thousands of
> users who flocked to the fediverse did not have such an option.
>
> I like and use Nostr, but it's heavily entrenched in cryptocurrency and
> the Lightning Network, by design.

It's fantastic to see you embracing Nostr, a platform designed to be
independent of any cryptocurrencies, the only mandatory NIP is that
messages are in JSON with signatures. However, there's a substantial demand
for ethical payments in the social web, and that demand is being addressed
by the vibrant community that has first adopted Nostr. This mirrors
Facebook's early trajectory, starting with a niche community before
expanding.

The organic growth allows Nostr to develop and mature, aligning its
features with existing apps while remaining small and enjoyable. As it
matures, it is  anticipated that it will attract a broader audience.
Interestingly, developers transitioning from the Fediverse to Nostr have
noticed more action and less discussion there, reflecting a high-velocity
innovation environment.

Nostr, just about 6 months old, is supported by over a thousand grassroots
developers committed to free software, cryptography, and privacy. While the
platform could delegate holding user private keys to third parties (which
is the fedi model), it prioritizes privacy, at this point.

I foresee Nostr incorporating high-quality end-to-end encryption in the
coming year (I'm even developing one), ensuring both security and a
friendly user experience. It's an exciting time to witness and participate
in this wave of innovation.  Hopefully we can all learn from each other.

[image: image.png]