Re: Introductions (was Re: First 2023 SWICG meeting call on Fri May 19)

st 17. 5. 2023 v 20:56 odesílatel Evan Prodromou <evan@prodromou.name>
napsal:

> I’ll take this moment to make a self-introduction ahead of the meeting.
>
> My name is Evan Prodromou; I am an entrepreneur and technologist who has
> been working on the social web since the mid-2000s.
>
> I’m primarily known in this community for my work as co-author of the
> Activity Streams 2.0 and ActivityPub specifications.  I co-chaired the
> Social Web Working Group with Arnaud and Tantek.
>
> I was also the founder of Identi.ca, creator of GNU Social and pump.io,
> and co-author of the OStatus specification.
>
> For the near future of ActivityPub, I’m *very* interested in developing
> an end-to-end encryption (E2EE) extension in-band, using the media type on
> `content` elements. I recently published some HCI research
> <https://evanp.me/2023/05/15/re-designing-the-mastodon-user-interface-for-better-personal-relationships/> on
> this topic and how important it is to supporting personal relationships on
> the social web.
>
> I have a social web account on https://cosocial.ca/evan . CoSocial is the
> Mastodon cooperative that I co-founded.
>
> Further information about me and my work here:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evan_Prodromou

Hi, I'm Melvin, I'm a grass roots developer working on the social web.  I
accidentally fell down this rabbit hole about 15 years ago while trying to
build an online card game.  I wanted to make a system so that when users
logged in, and got an achievement, they would be able to own it, and take
it with them across different systems.  My original thought was "surely
someone must have done this", and I was pointed to various efforts, from
openID, to the first SWXG, then to FOAF, and then Solid, the SWWG, and most
recently to Nostr.  Each system offering different trade offs.

I enjoy it when different systems work together and grow a network effect.
I try to build things I want to use myself, and that I could recommend to
my friends.

Knowing the W3C web stack quite well I think it's a mixed bag.  If you were
to cherry pick the best parts you would achieve a good degree of interop
and massive scalability.  My hope is to try and use what I've learnt to
help grow projects working in the space, and find viable technical
alternatives to the current incumbents, that offer a new generation of
innovation.