Re: Introductions (was Re: First 2023 SWICG meeting call on Fri May 19)

Hello, all --

I plan on attending the meeting, at least for an hour or so.

I'm Rob. I'm an academic who has been studying what I call "alternative
social media" for over a decade. I mainly consider the relationships
between technical infrastructures and social practices, drawing heavily
on a science and technology studies perspective as well as feminist and
Marxian ethics.

I've published papers on Twister, GNU social, social networking on the
dark web, and Mastodon/the fediverse.

I'm currently working on a book about the fediverse. To that end, I've
read all the meeting minutes from the Social Web Working Group (and a
bit from the Interest Group) and studied things like the User Stories
the IG created.

I am particularly interested in the fediverse as a new approach to
social media moderation and governance. I hope this is useful to the
Group, since I am not a coder.

My academic affiliation is Ontario Research Chair of Digital Governance
for Social Justice at York University in Toronto.

Regards,

Rob

--
Robert W. Gehl (he/him/his)
Ontario Research Chair of Digital Governance for Social Justice, York

Sent from our OS on our Internet