Re: "Evolving ActivityPub to reduce infrastructure costs"

Deflate and gzip certainly help, you guys are right, and I don’t mean to hark on that particular one.

I just think that if there is an impression “out there” by some people that ActivityPub needs to be evolved "to reduce infrastructure costs” then this group here should be aware of that. That was the purpose of this post. I have no data to say whether that’s 1 guy out of 20,000 server admins who thinks that, or 19,999 server admins, but I think it’s always useful to be aware of anecdotal user feedback.

As there are new “competing” protocols popping up left and right, it’s also important to understand and manage perceptions, in particular if they are not entirely accurate.

Perhaps we should do a FediForum session on “perceptions and reality of ActivityPub”? (Not me, though, I wouldn’t be qualified to run such a session.)

Cheers,

Johannes Ernst
Blog: https://reb00ted.org/
FediForum: https://fediforum.org/