Re: Rights Expression Language (REL) for Activity/Streams/Pub?

Hi Sean,

On 9 Mar 2023, at 18:55, Sean O'Brien wrote:

> There are many use cases for read-only publishing of information. That
> is how the Web started. Replies and other user interactions (likes,
> dislikes, and so on) may be unwelcomed by the author of a specific
> message.

I run a blog. Replies I don't like I just won't publish. It's my blog
after all.

> Writing about the death of a loved one, announcing a gender
> transition, statements from an activist group, public apologies,
> providing a controversial product or service, offering assistance to
> undocumented workers, details for transportation to abortion clinics,
> journalists providing their contact information for whistleblowers, a
> hash posted as proof of possession of data, veiled warnings to
> citizens living under the boot of a regime.
>
> In many of these cases, turning off replies is in the best interest of
> the people who might need the information so that users aren't
> unknowingly doxxed or exposed to risk of violence or repression.
>
> Sometimes, though, authors just don't want to act as moderators (if
> they have such capability/permissions) or view the opinions of readers
> (which as we all know can be quite nasty) as a requirement for
> publishing.

tastes differ, but the cases you mention are all ones I would hesitate
to announce to random strangers.

And as said, posting something doesn't come with an obligation to put
each and every reaction next to it.

Obviously it's the posters business what criteria a reaction has to meet
to qualify a publication on the posters property.

All other places are out of scope, naturally.

Kind regards,
Marcus