Re: Implementing Federation, Part I

On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 20:03:22 -0500
Evan Prodromou <evan@prodromou.name> wrote:

> A very good question!
>
> We haven't published a CG report yet, but the Extensions Policy is a
> draft now.
>
> I asked that we put this on the agenda for next meeting. My hope would
> be that we'd appoint at least one editor per document, set goals and a
> time frame, and then get document drafts out ASAP.
>
> We've collected feedback for the other docs in GitHub, so that'd
> probably be where these would go, too.
>
> Does that sound about right?

No

As I understand it, you're about rewriting and rebranding mostly. Not adding value to what's in the blog article already (which would involve others, right?). If you want, make a one-line technical report referring to the article (or archive.org). You don't need me for that.

Also my github decade is already over. I am locked out by their enterprise supply chain security theater and am unwilling to give in. And it's a (federation-hostile) monopoly run by billionaires which I don't feel comfortable adding to anyway. I consider luring developers there a dark pattern against the spirit of a free web and unethical. But that's my take on it.

I am well aware, that big organisations love big organisations and have to do big organisation things. I, however, am the opposite.

But that's a side aspect, really. Core is, I fail to see what you expect content-wise other than what's already there and would be trivial for you to do yourself.

Webfinger here for example boils down to

#!/bin/sh
# https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7033
readonly host="$(echo "${1}" | cut -d'@' -f2)"
curl \
  --header 'Accept: application/jrd+json' \
  --location \
  "https://$host/.well-known/webfinger?resource=acct:${1}" \
| jq '.links[] | select((.rel == "self") and (.type == "application/activity+json")) | .href'

I assume that trivial to come up with or get written for you and most board members.

I just don't see a role for me here.

The signature issue is a bit different, the script for doing signed requests could use some polish. But here I fail to see my role as well. For implementers the script should give a jumpstart, other desires I can't see at the time.

So I am pleased when my writing is received as beneficial in the list and outside, feel honoured by the reception of the chair and you're welcome to do with the article whatever you please under it's given license.

Marcus