Re: Federation by both Large and Small servers must be well supported.

On 22 Apr 2023, at 23:00, Bob Wyman wrote:

> it is also essential that the needs of large and even
> "huge" nodes be addressed.

if it comes at a cost for the small ones: No.

The small need protection and stewardship, not the big. The big will use
arbitrary force at will anyway.

> Those who dream of a SocialWeb reliant on a Fediverse composed of
> small nodes would be better served by seeking to ensure that small
> nodes provide distinct value rather than resisting the protocol
> enhancements and innovations that would address the needs of those
> building larger nodes.

I don't understand that, please elaborate.

>  Meta, etc., will provide the preferred foundation for the future
> SocialWeb.

They are not social today and won't be tomorrow. Be it with our help or
without.

FYI: I care about the participants, not the nodes nor operators. My
vision is all just participants.

> If we want to ensure that federation works well for small SocialWeb
> nodes, we'll need to also ensure that it works well for large ones.

No. They have different needs.

/Marcus