Re: A native internet protocol for social media

pá 14. 4. 2023 v 15:08 odesílatel Jacky Alcine <yo@jacky.wtf> napsal:

> Agreed. And I don't see any sort of online platform being safe if it
> removes things like moderation and increases the proliferation of digital
> capitalism through cryptocurrency - both of which are nonconductive to a
> safe online Web.
>
> Dorsey endorsed the current owner of Twitter - look where that went. I do
> not have or put a lot of stock into things that can exalt those who fund
> for the sake of it.
>
> It also goes without saying that making a new Internet protocol is going
> to less to make change than working with expanding current systems to be
> more interoperable.

In Tim Berners-Lee's book, "Weaving the Web," he posits that the Web is
more of a social invention than a technical one. The challenge lies in
creating a protocol that is interoperable, scalable, and allows users to
have full ownership of their conversations.

P2P systems offer a high level of ownership, but they struggle with
scalability, particularly when it comes to navigating firewalls. On the
other hand, centralized or federated systems provide good scalability, but
compromise on user data ownership. In these systems, users share ownership
with the website owner, who may potentially impersonate them or monitor
their activities without their knowledge.

A native internet protocol designed specifically for social purposes would
empower users to maintain ownership of their data while also being capable
of scaling to billions of users.