Re: The term: "Mastodon" vs "fediverse" vs ...?

Well "multi" isn't very exciting either when it's separated from "multiverse" and that term is also pretty popular in mainstream culture atm ;)

IMO it's not early enough to introduce a new term for the fediverse. The ship has sailed, or perhaps another term will emerge spontaneously from users or through a coordinated PR campaign by a powerful actor.

Social Web has been used in this context for a long while and I think it's fine. But it also is less specific and descriptive re: federation, which is the defining and common aspect that unites these instances / platforms.

Whatever happens, I hope we can avoid the ambiguity of "free" in any term, so I don't have to explain _gratis_ vs. _libre_ :)

Cheers,
- Sean

--
Sean O'Brien
Fellow, Information Society Project at Yale Law School