Re: [Fwd: SDForum Ontology vs. Folksonomy]

john.nj.davies@bt.com wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> Nice presentation. This is an issue I sometimes find myself having to address. I tend to present Web2.0 and OWL-based (say) ontologies as at 2 ends of a continuum, with taxonomies in the middle and thesauri, term lists, etc at different places on the line.
>
> In my view there is no mutual exclusivity here - in one recent exchange to try and get this point across I said:
>
> "Some things (flickr) will have a folksonomy and no interest or requirement in moving to an ontology or other more formal structure. Some things (healthcare apps) will use a formal logic-based ontology and would kill people (in the case of health) if they relied on clinician's inputting semi-random tags. Some things (some semantic wiki apps, for example) will benefit from marrying Web 2.0 and semantic technology."

John,

I have started to tackle the mutual exclusivity myth by demonstrating
Flickr, Del.icio.us and the like can act as RDF data sources courtesy of
their Web Services :-)

Just see my latest blog posts or the links below:

1. Del.icio.us -
http://demo.openlinksw.com/DAV/home/demo/Public/Queries/delicious_web20_events_dataspace.isparql.xml
(Semantic Web Events)

2. Flickr -
http://demo.openlinksw.com/DAV/home/demo/Public/Queries/flickr_semanticweb_rdf_dataspace.isparql.xml
(Photos tagged under 'rdf' and 'semanticweb' ; you can click on the
image URIs for image metadata etc.)

Of course I could have joined the two data sources (each a Named Graph
in their own right to make this even more interesting).

--

Regards,

President & CEO