Re: data format for gathered information

Hi all,

Answers below.

Es begab sich aber da Ivan Herman zur rechten Zeit 28.02.2007 13:16
folgendes schrieb:
> Leo,
>
> it is a bit difficult to edit, because the page should reflect
> concensus... so I prefer to comment and discuss here.

The problem is, that the arguments you give here are lost with time.
Some people don't read all e-mails.

As Uldis pointed out, it is perfectly ok to edit the wiki page or to add
comments.

[1] http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?VisualizeTheWiki

I understand its harder to read the page and see where arguments can fit
in, supporting or negating existing arguments,
but I don't have the time to play the role of editor, I can coordinate
and review.

If it works in wikipedia, I see no reason why it should not work in SWEO.
The page needs to show consensus *at the end* but not during the
discussion process.

so please, edit / delete / the wiki page! The whole process will take
very much longer if we depend on a single editor, and we cannot hold our
deadlines then.

Anyway, answers below:

> - Using the doap, skos, etc, is obviously the way to go. Actually, using
> skos is a great idea of yours!

thanks, and I think the consensus is that we use DOAP/foaf/etc for
"obvious" classes using rdf:type
and use SKOS for the harder tags like "rdfstore", "tutorial",
"successstory" etc.
> - I am not sure about the usage of RSS. I have the feeling that it is a
> little bit of a misuse here. I wonder whether the full power of DC is
> not enough here; not only the core dc terms like dc:title and such that
> everybody knows but, also, the dcterm vocabulary[1] I have the
> impression that those, combined with maybe some extra properties of our
> own may replace your choice of RSS. (to be checked)

The usage of RSS is proper and correct here.
RSS means rich site summary or rdf syndication or ... its for
syndication of items normally represented
on a website. We are doing syndication (=importing data to a portal).
additionally:
* every dumb developer on the world understands XML and rss (and surely
not RDF and foaf/doap/...)
* people can setup XML/RSS feeds or RDF/RSS feeds on their CMS systems
to export data for
  the SWEO portal.
* the data published in XML/RSS can be reused by newsreaders, giving
more motivation
 to others to follow our track

I am focussing widespread and low-cost adoption, for people that want to
publish data.

> - For books and articles, I think we need something more strucured, like
> BibTeX, in order to allow for, say, more scholarly usage. The problem is
> that it is not 100% obvious how to represent bibtex in RDF, look at my
> recent blog and the comments[2]. We may have to byte the bullet and
> choose one or modify one).

I don't want to bite the bullet. DC should be enough for now.
Think of it the other way round:
When we say "we will import whatever data you publish" and give a most
simple example of what we expect
using DC and RSS/SKOS, we can still import more data once people start
publishing it.

If our importer finds a bibtex item, we may see if we import it.

but we should start now with a simple core, we can always make it
complicated later, I want the
importer to be online within a month.
> [As an aside, it was one of you guys, I think, who drew my attention on
> BibSonomy[3] which uses nice features to store bibliographical data as
> well, it is a pity that the bibtex they use is broken[2] otherwise we
> could have used it)

Yes, I am a bibsonomy user and I know the main developer personally.
Still, I think this is too experimental.

> - I was looking at DOAP; its description on [4] refers to "DOAP is a
> project to create an XML/RDF vocabulary to describe open source
> projects." I was wondering whether it would also be suitable to describe
> non-commercial projects, ie, where the 'open sourceness' is in DOAP.
> Sure, there are references to repositories and copyrights, but I presume
> it is all right to ignore those when we talk about commercial projects.
> To be checked, nevertheless...

good question, and good to read and check DOAP.
many mojo++ to Bengee for checking.
> - Whether the core 'glue', binding all that together, should be SIOC, as
> Kingsley proposes, or something else, I am not sure. I must admit I am
> not familiar with all the details of SIOC in this sense. I am a little
> bit afraid (just like for RSS) to reuse something just because some of
> the properties and classes are around that are close to what we want,
> but it is not *really* meant for that. I know there is a fuzzy line
> there, and may not apply to SIOC (as I said, I am not sure about that
> one), but we should be careful about that.

The point is: what do we want?
I start a new thread with a new mail about that, please read on there....