RE: minutes, 29-Nov telecon

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Miller [mailto:Paul.Miller@talis.com]

Sounds intriguing - in a previous life, I spent some time looking at things
like QUATRO [1], and talking to Google about the feasibility of a UK-wide
tweaking of their search engine to prioritise 'trusted' content in
educational environments.  Then I left to do this instead...

How are you fixed tomorrow, say after the SWEO call?

[PW] Ah ha, it's a small world we live in!!

QUATRO used Segala's certification model with O2 [1], as a primary case
study.

In fact, Segala was due to be project manager for QUATRO II, owning most of
the project deliverables. However, I think we were too futuristic for the EU
civil servants as it didn't make it through the proposal stage... even
though we could have delivered most of the technology within months.

Also, Segala co-authored the final report of the WCL-XG [2].

So, the extension I've been talking about is based on this method and
automatically reads labelled Web sites (now) without any change required by
the site owner or the Content Label provider.

Segala has been labelling content and modifying the label itself for WCAG
conformance claims for over 18 months. O2 is the first organisation to adopt
Content Labelling across its entire platform for Web accessibility
compliance. I'm looking to hook all of this in with the IMS specification
[3]

Furthermore, we are going to create a site on contentlabel.org which will
focus on encouraging industry to help create new codes of conduct using
Content Labels - same concept as microformats.org.

I have demonstrated the extension to VeriSign, AOL, Netscape, Google and
others. Microsoft is now considering paying us to build an IE plugin after
seeing a demo. Arun, AOL's W3C rep said that he wants to introduce me to the
head of Netscape, Sean, Google's W3C rep on mobile web gave me a username
and password for their coop before it launched, but we didn't have time to
look into it. Charles is looking into what can be done with Opera.

So, the extension is *non-commercial* and the whole point of it is to prove
the concept of reading more data about Web sites to search engines and
browsers. I'm hoping that by helping to build an echo system, we can
encourage them to read Content Labels and provide users with more
trustworthy (and then relevant) results. Taking this a step further, we're
looking into how FOAF could help enable trust for people and companies with
the view to enabling stuff in the extension to demonstrate it - rather than
talk about it.

Perhaps John Davies could help encourage BT to work with us in verifying
identities so we can pin them to a URI using a Content Label that resides at
a trusted location :)

Now there's an echo system of trust!

Apologies if you're now seriously bored of hearing about this stuff - well
done if you're still awake without the need to inject copious amounts of
caffeine directly to your bloodstream! :)

In answer to your question Paul (sigh), I'm attending an accessibility thing
for most of the day in Dublin tomorrow but will try to get online. Perhaps
you could email me off list with some options of your availability?

BTW, looking at your site, I noticed that your CEO is the former CTO of
Surfkitchen. I know their current CTO very well (nugget of useless
information!).

[1] http://www.o2.com
[2] http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/wcl/XGR-report/
[3] http://www.imsglobal.org/accessibility/

Paul

[1] - http://www.icra.org/projects/quatro/

--
Dr Paul Miller
Senior Manager & Technology Evangelist, Talis

The very latest from Talis
read the latest news at www.talis.com/news
listen to our podcasts www.talis.com/podcasts
see us at these events www.talis.com/events
join the discussion here www.talis.com/forums
join our developer community www.talis.com/tdn
and read our blogs www.talis.com/blogs

Any views or personal opinions expressed within this email may not be those
of Talis Information Ltd. The content of this email message and any files
that may be attached are confidential, and for the usage of the intended
recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, then please return
this message to the sender and delete it. Any use of this e-mail by an
unauthorised recipient is prohibited.