Re: SKOS comment: change of namespace (ISSUE-117)

Simon Spero wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 8:00 AM, Alistair Miles

> The semantics of the new "broader" are **clearly** *not* the same as BT,
> or the correct broader.
>
> IF you want to keep the same namspace, rename the new
> "broaderTransitive" relationship to "broader", and rename the new
> "broader" relationship to "directllyAssertedBroader".
>
> The BT relationship is intrinsically hiearachical and thus transitive.

While I've not dug deeply into recent WG discussions, I find myself
drawn back to this position whenever I think about it. If something is
broader than something else, then it is more broad. There's a built-in
comparison that only makes sense with an ordering.

There may be value in having a more complex property whose meaning is
tangled up with direct assertions of broadness within some scheme or
namespace. But that comes with its own slipperynesses in a world where
these hierarchies can acquire additions over time. The original
'broader' has the virtue of being dependent only on the nature of the
two topics being linked, rather than on what other topics are floating
around nearby, and what links hold between them. If we want both, and
we've had a name for one of them deployed already, I'd suggest sticking
with the old name for the old flavour, and having a new name for the new
one.

cheers,

Dan

--