Re: POWDER tags use case rewritten and rdf:type requirement

Kjetil Kjernsmo a écrit :
> All,
>
> The discussion around SKOS with the SWD gave me some inspiration, and I
> found that the tags.r.us use case [1] needs some elaboration.
>
> It is quite clear that it is hard to create something as generic as I
> need for this tagging thing, and I need to argue some more about the
> usefulness of the feature. Also, the tags.r.us use case could be a
> little more imaginatively written, so I propose the following for an
> updated working group note:
>
> [[[
> The social book-marking site tags.r.us allows their users to tag any
> resource and so provides a service through which people can annotate
> both their own and others' resources.
>
> Anders, a zoologist and tags.r.us user, finds a website about the dahut,
> an allegedly undescribed animal that lives in the French Alps. Anders
> wants to make sure the it is understood by readers that this is a
> fictional character, but interesting to understand the full spectrum of
> cryptozoological thinking, and thus tags it "fictional".
>
> The word "fictional" is not very useful without context, so to enable
> such user-defined tags to be shared with others, tags.r.us allows users
> to assign a link between their own tags and a Description Resource,
> that provides the context that it is about an alleged fictional animal.
> An agent can thus use the tag as appropriate, processing the explicit
> semantics provided by the DR but perhaps presenting other users with
> Anders' original tags.
> ]]]
>
> I think this should also answer Antoine's question if it is a
> important need, yes, I think it is since a tag without context is
> often totally useless to anyone other than the tagger himself. In this
> case, it would be reasonable for the tagger to tag simply "fictional",
> but that would only be useful when the context of linking that to the
> description is available.

Actually I was not questioning the need for linking a tag to its
context, but the need to do it using a single property. In your case you
were hinting at two very different cases of contextualizing:
- by giving a real-world reference (a resource standing for a person)
- by giving a more complex definition at the conceptual level (the
Powder description of a concept)
I agree with these two, but I was sceptical about the need (linked to UI
simplification motivations) to gather the two things under a same
modelling umbrella.
By the way just think of an example where I have a document about 'Henry
VIII'. I might want to contextualize the tag both by linking to another
more complete concept representing henry VIII, and by refering to the
'real' foaf:person henry VIII. Would such a situation be realistic in
your case?
> [...]
>
> I hope this gives SWD a bit more to work on with respect to SKOS usage
> in tagging. I still think it is useful to have a very generic property,
> since, face it, those sites that employ tagging will not do a lot to
> create elaborate mapping systems that uses the full power of RDF. Also,
> since I have only three hours to implement it myself, I think that I
> will be stuck with skos:it. I'll document the discussion, though.

Be careful, *there is no skos:it at the moment in SKOS*! [1]
I would just recommend you to use your own property (or your own
properties if you opt for the safer - in my opinion- way of representing
the two links in a separate way), and then say that it is a subproperty
of whatever SKOS 'official' property comes afterward. I don't like to
speak this way on behalf of the SWD group, but I think we should be
aware of people not introducing things in the namespace that have not
been accepted.

Cheers,

Antoine

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-skos-core-spec