Re: tracker 'states' proposal

At 08:33 AM 2/27/2007 -0500, Jon Phipps wrote:
>Ralph,
>
>re: "> I might also expect that
>>son-of-tracker might permit some individual customization
>>by each WG but the intent would be to have a base vocabulary
>>that is common to all WGs."
>
>I obviously hesitated quite a bit before saying this, but...

:)

>This looks to me like an excellent use case for a machine-readable thesaurus.

Indeed!  I don't imagine it would shock you to hear that
TimBL proposed a couple of years ago that we create
an ontology for issue workflow.  In fact, he probably has
several drafts around.  We just never prioritized the
resources to develop the tool that would use it.  That
stage seems to be getting closer with tracker.

>In my experience this type of requirement pops up fairly frequently in
>software design. Even if we don't formalize this as a SKOS use case
>(too late isn't it?), it might be interesting to both the designers of
>son-of-tracker and this WG to think about how SKOS might serve the
>interests of both individual flexibility in WG workflow terminology
>and the coherent cross-WG reporting that meets The Director's needs.

Thanks for reminding us of this.  The transition of tracker to
systems support is just beginning.  I hope to be near enough
to that loop to toss suggestions in at opportune times.