Re: [SKOS] Possible issue: Uniqueness of skos:prefLabel [was Re: [SKOS] inconsistency between Guide and Specification

Hi Guus,

I'm not really convinced by this argument, for two reasons:
- relevance to domain practice: even if a motivation for the constraint
in ISO and other thesaurus modelling approaches (especially term-based
ones, which are still encountered in many situations) was this reference
uniqueness, there are also strong normalization issues underway. People
managing thesauri are often spending a lot of time distilling *the* term
that embodies the concept in the best way. And while standard database
have been allowing for unique keys for decades, they still keep to this
constraint on the labels.
- coherence of the model: if we remove all the cardinality constraints,
what would be the indended meaning of a preferred label? This might
sound a rather stupid argument, but I really cannot see what makes a
label 'preferred' if its associated concept has two such labels.

Cheers,

Antoine