Re: [VM] TAG clarification on 302 vs 303, PURLS and more...

* Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com> [2006-01-23 16:00-0500]

> > From: Alistair Miles
> > . . .
> > Ralph raised the point that simply asking OCLC to change 302
> > to 303 for all responses by the PURL server is not a
> > reasonable solution, because a 302 "Found" response code is
> > actually quite appropriate for the majority of purl.org URIs.
>
> Yes.  Maybe purl.org could offer registrants the choice when a URI is
> registered, to indicate whether they want their URI to forward using 302
> or 303.

It ought to be possible for folks to change their mind later.

The PURL software is in Perl and freely downloadable from
http://www.oclc.org/research/projects/purl/download.htm
(hmm I thought it was Perl, but I guess Iremembered wrong, they
have precompiled version for various Unix variants - maybe it bundles
Apache?).

If someone had the cycles to write a (hopefully small and easy to
review) patch for the PURL code, maybe purl.org would be more
likely to make the change. I'd love to take a look but don't have
time right now. Anyone else feeling purlish?

Dan