Re: The semantics of rdfs:label

From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@ontopia.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:27:26 +0200
To: public-swbp-wg@w3.org

* Christopher Welty

| I'm not sure there is an official answer to the question.  But I
| have a lot of experience with it that I can share.

Your advice seems quite sound to me, but is mostly helpful for people
creating vocabularies. The RDFTM task force is in a slightly different
position, however. We have to create a generic mapping between a
technology that does not have a built-in concept of names (RDF) and
one that does (Topic Maps). This was why we were wondering if
rdfs:label is the common superproperty of all name properties. If it
is, it means that untyped names from Topic Maps can become rdfs:label
statements in RDF, and vice versa. If not things get a little harder.