Re: The semantics of rdfs:label

I'm not sure there is an official answer to the question.  But I have a
lot of experience with it that I can share.

A big problem when displaying graphs is deciding how to label the nodes,
and to a lesser degree the edges.  Imagine your nodes represent people or
organizations, and you have a number of different choices for names.  The
process for choosing the best label can be quite complex.

Given the definition of rdfs:label, "may be used to provide a
human-readable version of a resource's name," coupled with our experience,
we prefer that the property have one value, that represents the result of
the (again, often complex) processing required to choose the best label.

If you make rdfs:label the super-property of other "name" properties, then
typically you will aggregate together all the values and as a result you
will still be faced with the problem of choosing which one to use when the
graph is displayed, and you still need a place to put that value once you
pick it.

Now, of course, there is not always one and only one label that works for
all occasions.  We have found that a shortLabel and longLabel property are
also useful.

-Chris

Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr., Hawthorne, NY  10532
Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055, Fax: +1 914.784.7455
Email: welty@watson.ibm.com
Web: http://www.research.ibm.com/people/w/welty/