Re: OEP and SE

Jeff Pan wrote:
>I would like to discuss with you the relationship between the OEP  TF and the
>proposed SE TF.
>
>As mentioned in [1], the distinction between the two TFs is clear, i.e.,  OEP
>is more about engineering and patterns of ontologies, while SE is more about
>the use of ontologies in software architecture and lifecycles. The SE TF terms
>of reference [2] explicitly states that the scopes of the two TFs are disjoint.> >
>There are some potential connections between the two TFs. For instance,
>"Mapping from UML to OWL" is a suggested topic in OEP TF [3], the results
>from which could be applied in topics in SE TF, such as "Ontology-Driven
>Software Engineering".

I don't really believe that there is a clean demarcation line between the
scopes of these two Task Forces.  For each item of work we may choose a
single home, but that choice sometimes will be arbitrary.  The Semantic
Integration note is a case in point.

This is not a problem in my view.  As long as we don't have turf battles or
contradictory notes.  Its better to spend time writing notes than writing
careful scope descriptions.  (Now, if I could just find some time to write
either!)

-Evan