RE: [OEP] "Classes as values": comments on draft

From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:36:31 +0100
To: "'Uschold, Michael F'" <michael.f.uschold@boeing.com>, Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, ewallace@cme.nist.gov
Cc: public-swbp-wg@w3.org, guarino@loa-cnr.it

Sorry, resending this correcting some N3 syntax mistakes ...

I believe the best way to express the fact that a particular image depicts a
thing which is a member of the class of Lions would be to say (this is the
FOAF model):

LionImage
	a	AnimalImage;
	foaf:depicts	[a	Lion].

Lion
	a	owl:Class;
	subClassOf	Mammal.

Mammal	a	owl:Class.
AnimalImage	a	owl:Class.

The alternative way of expressing similar information is to use the
dc:subject property along with the SKOS model [2] for describing concepts
that are intended to act as 'subjects' or 'topics' for information
resources.

LionImage
	a	AnimalImage;
	dc:subject	LionConcept.

LionConcept
	a	skos:Concept;
	skos:prefLabel	'Lions';
	skos:broader	MammalConcept.

MammalConcept
	a	skos:Concept;
	skos:prefLabel	'Mammals';
	skos:narrower	LionConcept.

The SKOS vocab already defines a class 'Concept' and a set of properties for
organising concepts into a hierarchy, without demanding that the hierarchy
implies a subclass relationship.  I refer the WG to the document [2] which
outlines the SKOS-Core schema, although you should currently ignore the
final section on 'using SKOS-Core with DC and FOAF' as this will change
shortly to be in line with the model of usage that I have briefly described
here.

Yours,

Alistair.

[1]